Monday, March 14, 2011
Props: Shabby Chic (Jill) or Awesome Cheap (Nathan) Tables
So, this was a project that slipped through the cracks. Not so much our accomplishment of it, but our bragging about accomplishing it on the blog.
The pictures are in reverse order, so, watch the transformation unfold from end to beginning. Notice the beautiful and classy nightstands to either side of the bed (the duvet cover was a Jill creation).
Here is a close up of the job. If you're wondering, yes that is an ESV Study Bible. Great setpiece, isn't it? Notice the fresh, white paint and the illusion of age that comes from careful sanding.
Here is where the tables began their life, as a pair of cheap sewing machine tables. Jill found an antique shop out in the Indiana boonies that she wanted to visit, so we made the trip. It was about an hour outside Louisville, but it was a different world. That's an exaggeration, but not a huge one. I saw at least three places to buy a tractor on the way out.
Jill had wanted some side tables for a while, and she had hopes of finding some good ones there. I don't pretend to be an expert on these things, but there does seem to be a large market for antiques in and around Louisville. Where it all comes from, I'm not sure, but, in terms of price, things get cheaper as you move out of the city.
So, we didn't find any nightstands persay (but if I collected Coca Cola stuff, mmm, I would have been in heaven). We were about to leave before we found an almost matched set of sewing machine tables. Crazy, I know. But, with a little work, some paint, a matched set of knobs from Home Depot, and a screwdriver to remove the unneeded hardware, and you have what we see here.
I love the cheapness; I love few things more than bragging about a good deal. Apparently, though, it's a stylish result. So I hear. By that I mean, so Jill tells me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment