Sunday, September 18, 2011

Plot: Home is where the heart is

"Home is not where you live but where they understand you." Christian Morgenstern

I was reading back over some of our old post to see what I blogged about over the past few months. One post that stuck out in particular was about traveling to Michigan for Easter. I was super excited to go back to Michigan and I am sure at the time, had no cares about the trip itself. Since then I have come to dread the six hour trip through Kentucky, Ohio, and Michigan. (Maybe dread it too harsh a word..have become jaded toward, do not look fondly upon, get tired just thinking about.. those all work too.) Little did I know then that in the following months we would be making similar trips eight times in four months. These six hour trips usually start sometime after I get off of work, which is at 5, but I don't get home til 5:30, by the time we eat and get all our stuff in the car its well past 6 which means we don't get in til after midnight. We have become pretty good at the trip though, we know it takes about one tank of gas, we know to bring snacks and drinks, and we know that I will usually be driving first which means Nathan always does the hard, tired driving. Usually the only thing that gets me through those long tired drives is thinking about what we are driving to.

Even though the trip is hard, every time we have traveled, we chose to do so because it was for something we found important and close to our hearts, and since we had the ability and the means, there was really nothing to hold us back. We have been blessed to witness multiple friends join in marriage, be around for family functions and birthday parties, to watch Meg graduate and go off to college, to hang out with friends that we don't get to see very often, and most of all to be a part of the lives of the people we care about the most and who understand us the best.

Though I may complain about the drive, I still find myself very excited to get to go "home".

No comments:

Post a Comment